Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I have a confession to make: In the winter when it is really cold, I have on occasion buckled both girls into the car seat when they are wearing heavy coats. Why is this an issue? Well because Federal Guidelines state that children should never be buckled into a car seat wearing those types of bulky clothing because it reduces the effectiveness of the straps. So what is a parent to do when it is freezing cold outside and you are trying to put your kids in the car and you want to keep your child(ren) warm without endangering them at the same time? I have a confession to make: In the winter when it is really cold, I have on occasion buckled both girls into the car seat when they are wearing heavy coats. Why is this an issue? Well because Federal Guidelines state that children should never be buckled into a car seat wearing those types of bulky clothing because it reduces the effectiveness of the straps. So what is a parent to do when it is freezing cold outside and you are trying to put your kids in the car and you want to keep your child(ren) warm without endangering them at the same time? Babycapes!

Babycapes were created by two moms who needed a way to keep their kids warm and to still get them in their car seats safely; an invention of necessity. These pieces of outwear are truly neat. They are capes (hence the name) with a hood and two arm slits. The back snaps shut so when you need to hook the child into the car seat (or a carrier) you just unsnap and strap them in, all the while leaving them warm and cozy. I had the opportunity to review a Babycape and it was great. The material on the outside is a suede-like material which makes the cape look and feel luxurious. The inside lining is a warm and cozy material. The best part is while these fabrics look and feel luxurious, they are totally machine washable. I put Eve in the cape and she looked so cute, but that isn’t really the purpose of the cape. When I tried to put her in the car seat it took a minute of thinking and then I figured out how it was suppose to work; after that it was a simple process of getting her strapped in while still wearing the cape and being warm. I like it. It makes my life a lot easier; no more putting on and taking off the coat or just saying heck with it and buckling her in with the huge coat on. Babycapes offers their capes in three different styles: the suede sherpa, the marshmallow minky, and the minky cuddle (made for cool not cold days).

Babycapes is also coming out with a line of hats that match their capes…I admit it, I like matching sets in some stuff and hats that match coats really do it for me. I received both the sherpa hat that matched the cape I reviewed as well as the marshmallow hat. The sherpa hat doesn’t have that much give in it, but it looks great and is lined to keep the head nice and toasty. I have to admit that I have big headed kids, they take after their momma and their dad (they were doomed from the beginning). Since the sherpa hat doesn’t have much give it was a little tight on Eve’s head…because for her age her head is bigger than 95% of other babies. But like I said it looks cute, is well made and keeps the head warm, so for those of you with normal headed babies this would be perfect for you. The marshmallow hat has a little bit more give to it and fit on Eve’s head nicely. The fabric is really soft and warm; it looks comfortable when Eve is wearing it. I have to say that the marshmallow is the go to hat for people with big headed babies. The hats come in 2 sizes: newborn which fits 0-3 months and small which fits 3-8 months in the sherpa and 3-12 months in the marshmallow; remember to account for big or small headedness! These retail for $16.

Check this out: Babycapes is having an "economic recovery sale" (I love the word "sale") where everything is almost 40% off. Come on now doesn't that sound great?

The GIVEAWAY:
5 people will win the hat in their style, size and color preference. The hats haven't even made it onto the site yet! Y'all are ahead of the curve.
TO ENTER: Go to Babycapes and look around, then come back here and leave me a comment telling me what your favorite product is.

BONUS ENTRIES:
* Subscribe
* Follow on Blogger
* Blog about this GIVEAWAY with a link back to this article.
* Donate to The Ark Adventure

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

92 comments:

susan said...

My favorite product is the Babycape in Minky Green Cuddle with Multidot.

Dee said...

I like the brown sherpa one! Thanks so much for the chance! I'd love a hat for my baby boy that is on the way!

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

I love the Marshmellow Green with skulls cape - that's awesome!

stormraven at gmail dot com

A Family Completed... said...

I like the green minky with the skull border!
thanks for the entry
tonyamcrain [at] aol [dot] com

Anonymous said...

Love the Brown Sherpa Suede cape!

springshoot5@aol.com

Celeste said...

I really like all of the suede ones - stylish! :D

contact me at:
celeste@mail4me.com

Makaela said...

I like the pink with daisies. :) Thanks for the intro to a great product! We were just talking about this.

Annie1 said...

I love the Mint Green Sherpa Suede one!

Gorgeous product!


Thanks

nancyrobster@gmail.com

Janet said...

I like the Pink Sherpa Suede Cape. Thanks. I like that the sizes go up to preschool age. Wow! Neat!


gahome2mom(at)gmail(dot)com
http://lovingheartdesigns.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

The Brown Sherpa Suede is my favourite. Gosh, it's gorgeous!

noreen said...

Minky Sherpa Suede, pink
so sweet (almost picked mint but my girla adore pink)

windycindy said...

The Minky Capes look so comfortable and soft! I like the green with multidots! Please add my name in your fun giveaway drawing. Many thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Leah said...

I love, love, love the Babycape in Blue Minky Sherpa Suede!!! : ))) Soooo cute and perfect for my ds! : )))

Thanks so much for this fabulous give~away! : )))

leahita[at]gmail[dot]com

free indeed said...

THe green minkee sherpa suade is so nice...actually they all are and such a great idea too! Our babies are so precious, we need to protect them from the elements.

free indeed said...

This is a duplicate post but needed to verify that I do subscribe but it is still under my old email madmecyr at verizon dot net....it is in transition right now to switching everything over. Hope you can remember this for the other giveaways I entered without me having to go through each one...

carolpie said...

Marshmellow pink with daisies is so cute I could see little Rachel wearing that! These are lovely!

MaggieM said...

My favorite is the Babycape in Minky Cuddle Green with Multidots - perfect for the upcoming warmer weather here in California:)

maggie@mannwieler.com

justicecw said...

I love the marshmellow green with multidot...so cute! thanks, justicecw@hotmail.com

jenny said...

if this is still open well i realy do think thay are all so cute and i be happy with any one of them thanks

intensev5 said...

I love the Babycape in Minky Cuddle: in cuddle green with skulls. How cute!!! Thanks for the giveaway:)

the mom said...

I love the giraffe cape!

I'm a follower and I'm blogging about the contest.

Alyssa said...

I love the marshmallow green multidot baby cape -- what a wonderful idea this is!

I'm a follower and I'll blog about the contest. :)

The Dreamer said...

I like the baby cape in minky sherpa suede in chocolate

thanks


adams006 at hotmail dot com

judybrittle said...

I love the marshmallow pink with daisies. Looks so adorable! Thank you!

Wehaf said...

My favorite is the marshmallow green with polka dots.

urchiken at gmail dot com

auntrene said...

I like the Cuddly Green with the multi colored dots. I would love to see them make one in yellow, buttercup,lemon Some nice shade of yellow.
Thanks for hosting this giveaway. Great Capes.