Tuesday, February 10, 2009

When I had my first, Ellie, about 2 1/2 years ago on Sept 26th 2006 I was clueless. I really hadn't done much research on birth, I didn't go to any classes and I pretty much went into the whole labor thing blind. And you know what? It worked for me...really well! Cat from 3 Kids and Us is having a birth story giveaway which I decided to enter...mostly because I like my birth story and secondly because I like free stuff LOL. So here you go:



I was due on Oct. 6th 2006. I was happy about that since I have a thing with the number 6...I was born Nov. 26th (no I am not telling you the year because it would make me feel old...but it has a 6 in it) and my daughter was going to be born in 2006. I had my bag packed like a good pregnant woman should and was just waiting the day when my baby would decide to make her appearance (and when those 50 lbs I gained would magically disappear right after birth *insert me snickering*). I admit to being unprepared...as in I didn't know anything about anything and I was happy about that. So I woke up Sept. 26th at 7.00AM and went to the bathroom. I was one of the lucky 5% whose water broke when they were using the facilities. Since I didn't feel anything and because I didn't want my equally unprepared hubby freaking out I didn't tell him about it and let him head off to work thinking it was a normal day.


I got up, noticed that I was feeling more uncomfortable (contractions those annoying things) and I decided that I was going to take a shower...there was NO WAY that I was going to go through labor and delivery with hairy legs and pits (in a moment of clear thinking I had gotten myself waxed in the most crucial area about 3 days before this). So, here's me 50lbs heavier than normal, hugely pregnant and in labor (and feeling it by now) trying to bend at awkward angles shaving...and if that wasn't bad enough for you here's something else: I was in a shower stall...you know the kind where you have enough room to stand and wash and that is about it? (Whoever designed my master bath and put in a giant tub and a tiny shower was a moron) I alright so I finish my shower; I am shaved, still have most of the skin on my legs minus a few unfortunate chunks, my hair is washed and I am feeling like it perhaps would be a good idea to eat something and fill out that pre-admission hospital paper work I had been putting off. I ate a bowl of cherrios...if I had known it was going to be the last thing I ate for 7 hours I would have wolfed down a cheeseburger.

At this point I am feeling the pain...every 4 minutes or so and coming in waves of three. So I think perhaps I should call my hubby and ask him to take me to the doctor's appointment I have scheduled at 11:30. Here's how the conversation went:


Me: "Hey would you mind driving me to the doctor's appointment today?"

Hubby: "Why"

Me: (this would have been a great time to tell him I was in active labor but...) "my back hurts a lot..."

Hubby: "you really can't drive yourself...I'm really busy."

Me: "Fine then I will drive myself!"

Hubby: "alright no wait, just drive to my work and I will take you from there"

Me: "fine I will see you in a few minutes"

So, I packed up my bags and I drove myself to hubby's work. I had the music cranked up and was singing...loudy. It actually helped me forget the fact that my back felt like someone decided to plunge a spike through it every 2 minutes. Hubby comes out to the car...I still haven't told him I am in labor although one who hope that he would recognize it by the way I was acting...I still haven't asked when he got clued in. So he's driving and I am listening to my music and singing like it is my lifeline...AND GET THIS he changed the channel. I am pretty sure I ripped him a new one and he changed it right back...but the details are pretty fuzzy.

I get to the doctor's office and hobble in...yeah I was hobbling. I guess my face, my walk and the fact that I was alternating between upbeat and glaring at hubby clued them in and the nurse goes "are you in labor"...my reply was something like this "yup...well at least I hope I am because this hurts like a (insert cuss word here)" So they put me in a room, tell me to strip, and say that my doctor will come in and check me. First off...do you know how hard it is to strip while huge and in labor? Second, I hate butt-less gowns and third do you know how hard it is to redress while huge and in labor? So here's my conversation with the doctor:


Dr: "So you think you are in labor huh?"

Me: "yes"

Dr: "well let's check"
Me: "(curse words) that hurts!"

Dr: *grinning at me* "it's false labor"

Me: "I HATE YOU"

Dr: "no...you're 5 cm dilated you can go across the street to the hospital now and get checked in and everything"


Fast forward about 30 minutes...I am sitting in bed, wearing a nasty colored hospital gown and not caring because I not only got a hard shot of some pain medication but they also put in the epi and set it too high. Hubby is eating really food while the nurses offer me yellow jello...GROSS.




2 hours later after about 15 minutes of pushing out come Ellie: bald, angry, and with a good looking head shape. I look at my little girl and go "OMG what am I holding?"

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

That was a wonderful story! Sounds like you had a pretty easy delivery. With baby #1 I started feeling contractions monday at 8am, my water never broke. By 11pm or so they were bad enough to go to hospital, I was 2cm dilated. Baby was born Tuesday 12:38pm (so 16 1/2 hours later)I was pushing for almost 2 hours.

Baby #2 I was induced but as soon as I got the induction I got strong contractions but they kept fading and the baby was all backwards and upside down, just barely escaped a c-section. Anyways, she was born in about 12 hours after more than 2 hours of pushing.

Sorry to turn this into a baby story comparison but I'm sure everyone else will too.

Ellie's a beautiful baby both now and then!

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

I love that story! How in the world could your husband have not noticed, they are such dorks.

Courtney V said...

Love your story! I can't believe you didn't tell your hubby! and you stayed so calm! That's awesome!

Lisa said...

You need to put in a disclaimer at the start of the post. I had a ramen noodle come out my nose I was laughing so hard!! Being 6 1/2 mo PG this could have put me in labor I laughed so hard...\
Great story..