Monday, February 16, 2009
I wouldn't say that Barbie and I are exactly enemies...but I think the correct term for our relationship would be "frenimy". I have resigned myself to the fact that since I have two girls I am going to have to deal with having my "frenimy" Barbie in the house; she's an American toy icon.
So yes, Barbie has been made to look more realistic...meaning her boobs and hips actually looking like they could belong to a living person (who has had some serious plastic work or who is a gym fanatic). Congrats on that. But, what's up with the clothes? Ellie got a Barbie today who was wearing a halter dress so short that she can't bend over without flashing her privates (and oh yeah what's up with the no panites either). And the shoes that this Barbie is wearing are absurd...they are what I call "hooker heels": about 9 inch heels, platforms on top of that, and made out of jelly material. The other Barbie that Ellie got for Christmas isn't any better: she's wearing a sundress so short she can't bend over and heels that are better suited to a stage than a street.
I understand that the Barbie brand is trying to make their dolls more realistic, hence the fact that they gave her a breast reduction and some hip implants...but can we move on to making the clothes more realistic and practical? As much as I hate to admit it, Barbie is somewhat of a role model for girls, and since there are plenty of other celebrity "role models" out there who can teach my kids how to dress like a hoochy...I want a role model who dresses in practical and stylish clothing. Not too much to ask.
Meet the Barbie "I Can Be A Vet" Collection. Because every vet you visit wears a mini skirt and tight sweater.

Meet the Barbie "Shopping Spree" Collection: Because I always wear a miniskirt, belly baring top, knee socks and high heels to the mall.
Meet the Barbie "Surf's Up" Collection: Because I always wear booty shorts...white booty shorts when I am going to be riding a scooter. And since it is SO HOT I think this mini tube top is the perfect choice...don't you? (PS. Flip Flops and scooters are a safety hazard)
Labels: hot-topics












10 comments:
I am stopping by from momdot.com .
You are so right about the barbie clothes! My 9 yr old is just starting to get bored with her Barbies.. but the clothes are terrible! Thanks for sharing!
While I see your frustration I think that I will take barbie over Bratz dolls any day. Bratz are not aloud in our home! Hang in there. They will outgrow them soon!
Becca
Please visit http://www.askbecca.com
I don't like the skanky Barbie clothes either. Bratz have NEVER been allowed in our home. We also don't buy any inappropriate Barbie clothing. Our girls don't play with them too much anymore, though.
i enjoyed this! lol lol
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's got a problem with the whole Barbie thing. I guess it's up to us moms to provide REAL role models for our girls. Sweats, tennies, no makeup, pony tails -- the trappings of a REAL woman!
Yeah and wearing booty shorts on a HOT day on scooter is not so smart. Your bum sticks to the vinyl or leather and owwwie!
See I managed to dodge this. My mom made all the clothes for our Barbies and she still has the pattern and the patience to make them for my children! God Bless the seamstress!
Great post. My mom hated Barbie dolls for the same reason. Luckily my daughter hasn't asked for one - yet...
I do agree with the other comment that said they are better than Bratz dolls. And I used to make (very basic) clothes for the one Barbie doll I owned as a girl.
LOL - So true! My daughter has one (I did NOT buy it for her and we tease the person who did) that my husband and I have named "Prostitute Barbie" as she was wearing fishnets and a very short skirt. There are few modest outfits. We draw the line at no Bratz.
Well, we don't have to worry about Barbie's wardrobe because her clothes always go missing as soon as she hits the door.
I have 100's of naked barbie dolls here but the clothes are not to be found.
Linda
Post a Comment